Good riddance.



You may have noticed that in my gratitude post for Thankgiving, I never mentioned specifically being grateful for my children. That is because I really struggled at the second half of 2020 to feel grateful to them, or to not feel guilty toward them. There were times—too many times—when I felt that I had made a terrible mistake and that I had been terribly prideful in deciding to have four kids. Who did I think I was? Clearly I didn't realize back when I was family planning that I would be such a terrible failure as a mother. I spent a lot of time in these dark thoughts, quite a few months.

Here is a poem I wrote that kind of encapsulates how I felt all too often during the second half of 2020.

Friends see what I share,
And it’s happy, happy, happy. 

If friends could see what is inside
They would surely stare.

“Die, die, die.
Mama, I want to die, die, die.”

Why?
But why? Why? Why?

The reasons change.

They shift. They meld. They disappear.

Anger sometimes. Sadness others.

And in between those?
Happy, happy, happy.

I share the happy with my world.
It is what I want to remember.

And it is real.
But it isn’t all.

Not nearly. Not even close.

Stop screaming at me.
Stop throwing things at me.
Stop hitting me.
Stop kicking me.
Stop tearing my heart out with your terrible words.

But deep down, I don’t think the enmity is actually directed at me.

Stop. Hating. Life. Please.

I’m in an abusive relationship.

With my child.

Happy, happy, happy.

Die. Die. Die.

How long is it okay to not be okay?

Be. Be. Be

Me.

So good riddance to 2020. There were highlights and good moments. I loved the extra time that I got to spend with our parents, and that's about it. 

Goodbye, 2020. Here's to 2021 where my kids keep doing better, and I keep feeling better, and fewer people in the world will die lonely deaths. That isn't too much to ask for, is it?



Comments

  1. Not too much to ask for, at all. Also, you’re my favorite human, if that counts as any kind of salve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are amazing. The picture is what really gets to me. You are beautiful. I see your soul, you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I wrote last month:

    A Mother's Prayer (A Child's Prayer)

    Heavenly Father are you really there?
    And do you hear and answer every mother's prayer?
    I hear the anger and doubts and fear
    Much more loudly than I hear your words of peace

    Heavenly Father, I feel so alone
    I've done too many things that can't be rectified
    How could you love me through all my faults?
    I can't keep going in this world alone

    Pray, I am here
    Speak, I am listening
    You are my child
    I know this life is painful
    I've felt your doubts
    I've felt your anger
    And I long to heal you
    And hold you again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you for sharing that beautiful, powerful poem, Tina.

      Delete
    2. Wow, Tina. ♥️ thank you so much for sharing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?