Three years

We moved to Gabon in the middle of August 2017. In the first week of September, I wrote this poem. I have copied it here below from an earlier blog post. I was literally crying in the bathroom hiding from my children when I wrote it.

"I can't," I whisper.
"I can't," I cry.
"I CAN'T!" I yell.

Silence is the only response.

"But I have to," I realize.
"How can I?" I question.

Breathing in; breathing out.

"I'll fail," I worry.
"I've failed before," I confess.
"But not always," I reason.

Stolen air, hiding in the bathroom.

Breathing in; breathing out.

"Someone has to," I venture.
"And that someone is me," I gasp.

Knock, knock, knock.

My stolen time has ended.

"I need you!" I hear.

Breathing in; breathing out.

"But what about when I can't?" I moan.

I
HAVE
TO.

So, I try.

Breathing in; breathing out.

Moving there was not a smooth transition for me. The house was more than I could handle on my own, but I struggled with it for a year. French was more complicated than I had hoped. We had difficulties with getting our older two kids in school in the grades we thought they belonged in. There were no playgroups or libraries or community classes for my younger two kids to join. 

Time went on. I adjusted. I did my best. My older children moved into the grades where I thought they belonged, and we loved the school. For the last two months of that school year, I had Alice and Gordon in preschool twice a week. I volunteered with an English language program with the Gabonese military. I made friends and joined some social groups. I sang in a quartet. I taught the nursery class at church. I made a new friend who ran an NGO and helped her with a service project at an orphanage. I applied for a job at the Embassy and got it. We decided to put Gordon in preschool every day once Alice went to kindergarten. 

Summer passed and our second year in Gabon began. I hired a housekeeper to wrestle with my amazing, overwhelming house. Gordon loved his preschool. Alice was happy at the big school with her siblings. I had a lot of cool friends to do activities with. I received an interim security clearance, so suddenly I was able to start my job. It was my first job in nine years, coming back after being in baby mode. I was so nervous! I told all of my friends that I would have to scale back my social engagements and volunteering. 

About three or four days into my job, I made a mistake. A stupid mistake. My blue badge was taken, but my yellow badge had already been destroyed, so I sat in the atrium for hours wearing a red visitor badge while closed-door meetings were held trying to figure out what to do with me and friendly people kept walking by complimenting me on my new job and asking how it was going. In the end, I lost my interim clearance, and I was put on leave. Then I lost my job. The next day, we had a social event at the Embassy, a potluck. I couldn’t face anyone yet, because I didn’t know what to say and I was scared about what I was even allowed to say, so I hid in my husband’s office and cried. When I came out, I discovered that my serving spoon had been put in someone else’s dish, and not a single bite had been taken from my food. Such a silly thing now, but it was painful then. The following day, I was hit by a car. I had some awesome bruises, but other than that I was physically fine. The driver didn't even stop to see if I was okay. It was the first time I realized that my life was worthless to some. A little while later, I had to be formally investigated by the security office. 

I became depressed. For over a month, I cried every single day. I felt like I didn't know myself anymore. I wasn't needed to teach and take care of my children, because they were at school. I didn't need to do household chores, because I had a housekeeper. I felt like I had outsourced myself out of my life. I had already told my friends I was unavailable, so I was not invited to activities. I've pretty much never gotten in trouble before in my life, and I was investigated. I had always prided myself as someone who followed the rules and didn't mess up, but I had made a mistake that created ripples in the Embassy and affected a lot of people. Being so depressed made me question who I was at my very core. Am I someone who screws up? Am I someone this weak? Does discovering that I am not perfect and that I make mistakes really dissolve me into someone who just cries all of the time? Who am I? Were there any roles left to me to fill? I was losing weight. I wasn't sleeping. I was disdainful of myself. I felt like I had no purpose. How vain and prideful had I been? Why was making one mistake and losing a job shaking me to my soul? Is that all I was made of? Why can't I stop crying?

It was so embarrassing to tell people I had been fired so quickly after starting. And since it had to do with classified information, I couldn't even tell anyone what had actually happened. And I couldn't defend myself, because I had actually made a mistake. I discovered Asian dramas and became addicted. I was starting to cry less.

And then I got very, very busy, so I didn't have time to sit around and be depressed.

And I accomplished a lot. And I touched a lot of lives. I could never done this much if I had been working.

I want to record it here, so I can remember that even when times seem to be hard that doesn't have to last. I want a personal testament that when I’m open to it, really wonderful things can happen. So here is a list of things I got to do in Gabon and what I deeply loved and what I truly miss.

Sea turtles: I was an organizer of the sea turtle patrol for Project Tortues. I handled the recruitment of volunteers and scheduling of patrols. I coordinated a training session for our patrollers by WWF. I scheduled and ran numerous beach cleans for schools, churches, and other organizations. I was the liaison between our organization at the local government’s High Commission for the Environment as well as a local recycling company. I presented on our project’s efforts to various groups and schools. I was part of a team planning an exhibit at the French Institute (that was canceled due to covid-19). I assisted those in charge of the data and documentation team of Project Tortues.


I recruited a handful of volunteers to donate money and food for a Lion’s Club event raising money for school supplies for impoverished children.

I recruited about 25 volunteers to represent their countries, preparing and donating food, as well as dressing in their national costume and preparing posters of photos from their cultures, at an event held for children from two local orphanages in coordination with the local television station and three other NGOs.


I donated my money and raised funds from my friends to supply the government-run nursing home with food and supplies in coordination with a friend’s NGO. When we visited, I personally visited with twenty residents and sang a song to each one of them.

I raised funds from my friends and donated money along with a friend’s NGO to procure and install swing sets at five local elementary schools.


I raised funds from my friends and donated money along with a friend’s NGO to convert the front room of a home shared by three disabled single mothers into a hair salon. We also put a swing set in front of their home.

A friend’s NGO was training children at two orphanages to perform at the French Institute. I donated and raised funds and received food donations from friends to provide them with water and snacks at their rehearsals, as well as pay for their transportation to and from the Institute and a beach outing.

For AOEDA orphanage, I worked sometimes privately and other times with NGOs, Marines, US Embassy friends (American and local staff), and expat friends. For the septic system and bathrooms, I used funds from The J. Kirby Simon foundation. We donated food on many occasions. We took one boy to receive medical treatment for a skin condition. We donated beds, mattresses, an oven, and a refrigerator. We dug a well and donated the pumps and motors needed. We paid for a septic system, an additional toilet, and a water collection system to be installed. About thirty children lived in that orphanage.

I was a member of Mekôm Choir, which sang a mix of classical, French, and African songs often at free concerts to share choral music with the general public. The choir was attached to a music school that offered lessons (at charge) to locals who had interest in playing the violin and piano.


I led a choir at church with adults, in addition to teaching them new music, I also tried to teach them the basics of reading music. I held a workshop to teach young adults how to read music and how to direct a piano accompanist and congregation singing. I also led a children’s choir and tried to teach them some basics of singing.


I volunteered with my children’s school as a drama teacher for secondary students and the primary musical director with the primary students.

I volunteered as a soccer coach at my children’s school with primary students.

I volunteered on the PTA at my children’s school and was a vocal member for improving the environment for our American kids and all students. I also created an unofficial parent group with over 100 members who would meet and discuss school issues and support new parents in the community.

A friend of mine had a lot of yarn and wanted to craft, so she asked me if I could organize a group. I started a group of about eighteen ladies. Those who didn’t know how to crotchet or knit were taught by those who did. We made about ninety baby caps. We also donated money and purchased bibs and binkies. We donated them to the infants at Jeanne Ebori Hospital.


When our CLO was out of town or when we did not have a CLO, I organized two Embassy Halloween parties, two Easter parties, and many EFM breakfasts. I also was a main member of the decorations committee for a Fourth of July party.

I founded a baby group. It had about fifteen women with babies three and under, helping to connect isolated expat moms.

I founded a tennis program at the Embassy, lining up those interested in playing, creating a lesson schedule, and finding two coaches to come to the Embassy to provide lessons.

I organized the English-speaking Ladies’ Club of Libreville. It has over 100 women. I planned events, organized outings, facilitated friendships, and created a support network for women. I also created mini groups within that organization. These included the crafting and baby groups I already mentioned, as well as a cooking group where we taught each other dishes from our national cuisines, a book club where we met monthly to discuss ideas, a service club where I received donations of time and money from my friends, a tennis club to meet up with other players of various levels to have friendly matches, an Asian drama watching club (television in Mandarin, Korean, and Japanese) that met weekly to watch tv shows and discuss food and culture, and an Indian dancing club where we met weekly to teach each other new dances.

I also allowed a tailor to come to my house two to three times a month to meet potential clients, receive orders, and deliver finished products. I usually had two to five women there for him. I received no compensation or discounts for this.

For one year in Gabon, I was a member of a Portuguese club that met once a month to eat and speak Portuguese.

For all three years, I was in a Spanish club that met bimonthly to eat and speak Spanish.

I was a member for two years of a French club that went on excursions all over Libreville, did volunteer service, and taught workshops.

I was a Relief Society teacher for six months, a nursery leader for a year and a half, a branch choir director for three years, and the primary second counselor for a year and a half.

I could not have accomplished that if I had been working. Maybe some of it, but not even half of it. I am so grateful that I didn't have a job.

My time in Gabon ended so abruptly due to covid-19 and being evacuated. This took away my ability to say goodbye how I normally do. However, because I couldn't say goodbye in person, the goodbyes were all said through email and messages, so I actually have a written record of them. I love that. I don't want to lose those words. Especially now that I am looking a new move in the eye and soon I will be starting over again. What friends will I make in Mexico? What will I get involved in? How well will my kids transition? What mistakes will I make?

Here are the loving goodbyes and messages of appreciation from my friends in the order I received them. It is a bit like reading notes in a yearbook. I removed names and edited a bit for privacy. I treasure these words.

----
Dear Mimi. I am really touched by your poem and your kind words. I will always remember your kindness and your enthusiasm for helping and sharing. You are an inspiration for me and I really wish we will see each other again somewhere. The world is small.
----
My dear Mimi. I am grateful to God for having allowed us to meet. You have been inspiring. I'll always remember you. Thank you so much for being such a nice and helpful girl. May God keep you safe and strong. Go Mimi!
----
I’m thankful to having met you and Jeff. Thanks for all the support you gave me here. You and your family are great to have as friends. God bless you and wish you all the best.
----
You've been such an amazing friend and so kind and selfless since we got here, you really made my arrival easy, and I thank you for that. You inspired me every day to be the best I can be, be kind to others and enjoy life. The world is small, let's keep in touch.
----
Thank you for everything Mimi!! You are my favorite and best person here, we will miss you.
----
Aww, Mimi. Thank you so much. You made us feel welcome in this community, and I always admired your dedication. I wish you all the best in your next adventure in Mexico, and please please take care yourselves, and be safe. I will keep checking the WhatsApp group, and let's keep in touch!!
----
Thank you Mimi—you are so generous with your time and talents.  I am glad the kids got to say good bye; this was such a formative tour for them.  I wish you and your family all the best until we meet again!
----
Your work here has been amazing. I hope you like Mexico as much as here. I know it is hard to start over every few years but you have a knack for making friends and influencing people.
----
Hi Mimi, You are also an example of resilience and strength.  Thanks for your friendship and see you in México.
----
Thank you Mimi.  It's a pleasure being your friend and knowing your family.  Having a diverse group of friends opens worlds and minds.  I admired your social networking, your commitments to helping others, and your energy (how do you do it?).  I wish you and your family the best, I know you will have an impact on others' lives wherever you journey.  Cheers and onward we go!
----
I have heard from so many this sentence "this lady brought joy in my life." Yes, Mimi, you bring joy and happiness in many hearts. Thanks for your many efforts and caring to all of us. You are a sunshine in many lives. Sunshine to your family and your friends. Stay as you are. We love you in all your roles for the mimis who can 't express themselves at the moment; maybe they need some rest and maybe the closest one needs you more. Mimi, we will all miss you so much. Your valuable friendship will be a big gap. Hope you arrive home safe. I was expecting this news, but I am sure we will see each other. Inshallah. You have made lots of lives happier with all your gatherings. And I am one of them. I wish you all the best, Mimi. You're a wonderful friend, an inspiring lady. Michelle, to be truthful, I confess that my heart is broken. Really you mean a lot to me here in Gabon. You are a friend, a sister, and an inspiring woman—an example for me. Yes, that is what you mean to me. From the deep of my heart, thank you so much to have met. You brought so much into my life. Thanks, Mimi.
----
Mimi. You are the sweet and adorable person in and out. I've never seen any person in my life like you. You are simply amazing. Whenever I think about you, I always feel energetic and positive. Always get inspiration from me and will pray for you and your family for  safe fly and stay healthy forever.
----
Dieu bénisse ton amour ta générosité ta gentillesse et ton ouverture. Tu es vraiment une belle personne.
----
Oh Mimi, we can't imagine life here without you and your kids. You are a part of us and all of us will miss you like crazy. Thanks Mimi for all the wonderful things you have done for us. God will protect you guys as you travel and help you reach your parents' place safely. I remember meeting your dad when he was here. Please do keep in touch. I will be praying for you.
----
Hello, hope you are doing fine. I agree fully with all the ladies: You are an amazing and lovely person!! You will be truly missed! All the Best to you and your family for your going home! Kiss!
----
Hello Mimi. j'espère que tu te portes bien. je viens te souhaiter un bon retour en Amérique. je suis très contente d'avoir fais ta connaissance.. tu nous manquera beaucoup! j'espère qu'on se reverra encore...merci encore pour ta présence. Mekôm est et restera toujours ta famille. Good Bye MIMI!
----
Nous sommes aussi triste que tu partes. Tu vas nous manquer mon amie et sœur merci pour ton amour envers nous. Nous avons eu beaucoup de joie en ta compagnie. Tu es une merveilleuse sainte des derniers jours.
----
Tu nous manques déjà et tes merveilleux enfants. Nous resterons en contact. Dieu te bénisse ainsi que toute ta famille. C'est un plaisir de vous avoir connu. Nous vous aimons.
----
Soyez en paix. Merci pour le service rendu à nos enfants. Que Dieu vous garde.
----
Bonjour Mimi, merci d'avoir été cette merveilleuse sœur parmi nous. Que le Seigneur se souvienne de vous.
----
Oh no say it ain’t so, you’re leaving and we can’t even say goodbye! You truly will be missed here, you’re one of the shining lights of Gabon. Your warmth, friendliness and generosity truly are unique. So sad.
----
Got the news of your anticipated departure. I’m kind of sad to see it though I knew you had a few months left. But at the same time, just thinking: It's the kind of person I'll try to see again. I shall stay in touch by any means. I promise. Do you? Love, love, always. Stay safe and healthy and keep your beloved family far from any harm and sickness. God bless you all the way ahead. 
----
Hey Mimi! Your sudden departure is sooo sad. We are truly going to miss you. All these groups and interactions wouldn’t be same without you. You kept so many things going without us realizing the time and effort you put into this. It is really heartbreaking that we will not be able to say a proper goodbye to you. Hope to see you somewhere sometime in future.
----
We will all miss you here and what a pity that we cannot get together to make a nice goodbye party. It was very nice to meet you, a very big thank you for all the times you reminded me of the notifications about the school and all the times you have helped me. I hope your return is going well, take good care of yourself, see you very soon I hope and give us news when you can!  I kiss you all 6.
----
Sorry to hear you're going, Mimi. You've been a great part of the ERV community and such a motivator for us all to get involved in things outside school also. I hope the next adventure is fun for you all. Stay in touch!
----
ERV will miss you, turtle community, and other communities will miss you and your family a lot. We knew you were going to leave but it is sad to hear that it might be sooner and before we have a chance to hug again!!
----
Dear Mimi, We are sad to learn of your imminent departure from Gabon, robbing us of an opportunity to hold a proper send off. Nevertheless, we are grateful to have had a chance to know you and share some moments of laughter as well as tension, while navigating through the meanders of school life. All the best to you and you family in your future life adventures!
----
Dear Mimi! It will be a really great loss not only to ERV but for a lot of communities here! You and your family will be missed here enormously!  You are a wonderfully beautiful person!  Your voice is sooo special!!!! Wish you all the best !!!! And have a lot of fun in your new adventure. Kisses and hugs.
----
Mimi, it goes without saying that the turtle group is going to miss you so very much! Thank you for all you have done in organizing “turtle patrol” and bringing us together as a group. What a season it has been! You have rescued mama turtles and reburied exposed eggs, investigated overdue nests, and braved the wilds of Zone G (and F and E!) on an almost daily basis. You are an inspiration and it has been such a pleasure to work with you throughout the season. Thanks for everything, you will be greatly missed my friend!
----
Hi Michelle, we never got a chance to meet in person, but you have become a family member through your participation in turtle patrol and lot of other activities which you took lead in organizing. You are and will always be the "busy bee" of our group. You will be missed.
----
I really value our friendship too and I really miss you.
----
Ok Mimi pour nous aussi ce fut un plaisir de t'avoir eu parmi nous d'avoir fait ta connaissance et d'avoir chanté à tes côtés. Nous ne cesseront de te dire merci pour ton abnégation pour ta loyauté ton courage malgré la difficulté de la langue. Tu ne manqueras et resteras à jamais gravé dans nos cœurs. Bon retour à toi et bon continuation dans le monde professionnel et musical *GOOD BYE*
----
Hey Mimi! What a sad news! Tu vas beaucoup nous manquer également. Avec cette histoire de confinement nous ne pouvons même pas te faire un au revoir comme il se doit. C’est très dommage mais sache que nous te garderons toujours dans nos cœurs. Bon retour aux USA et nous garderons le contact via Facebook.
----
This is the end of a great chapter! Tu vas beaucoup nous manquer Mimi. J’espère que tu t’en vas avec des superbes souvenirs du groupe. Je suis sûr que là où tu vas tu ne trouveras pas de groupe aussi cool et fun que nous. All the best for you and your family.
----
It's the end of a beautiful story.. Oui je pense que c'est normal ce que l'ambassade a décidé pour vous et cela en dit long derrière ses mots et à reflechir (tous les américains à rentrer aux USA). Mais sache que tu vas nous manquer et que nous allons continuer avec le Maestro à faire évoluer le groupe. Prends soins de toi avec toute ta famille. I hope we'll see each other there someday. 
----
Nous sommes ravis de t'avoir connu merci pour cette belle rencontre!!! Peut importe la distance tu sera toujours dans nos cœur.
----
Merci pour ton grand cœur et ta générosité. Ce n'est qu'un au revoir, à bientôt très chère Mimi!
----
This is so sad that your leaving us early, I’m so blessed to have met, you made my life so easy here in Gabon. I’m going to miss you big time. Have a safe journey back home and wish you only the best. Till we meet again my friend, love you much. All the best for you and your family.
----
We wish you and your family well Mimi!  Will definitely miss you!  Will remember you as an inspiration for many things forever in our hearts.
----
Mimi, you are an amazing person. We are definitely going to miss you. Have a safe trip and good luck!!
----
Such a selfless kind person you are, Mims. So glad I met you and will cherish all the memories we had together. Till we meet again.
----
This is the most sad thing I heard days ago. I cannot kiss you and say goodbye. You are truly a creative person in your personal life and your dealings with others in a pure heart. I do not want to lose you, you are my friend for all the coming long years that I wish you happiness, joy, love and success in everything.
----
Mimi I'm gonna miss you a lot. Some people come in your life and quickly go but you have surely left your footprints on most of our hearts. We all are going to cherish the times and memorable memories of  a wonderful, kind, caring, compassionate, and faithful friend like you. You truly are our "Hero." Even though I didn't get much time to spend and share my thoughts and time with you, but you have a great regard in my heart forever and always. I wish you all the very best for your present and future endeavors and from the bottom of my heart I wish you get whatever you aspire in your life. Lots and lots of love to your family and kids.
----
Some people I wish know them from a long time ago. You are one of them, Mimi. I introduced you as the mother, the friend, the volunteer, and the owner of ideas and quick solutions. You have an angel voice. All dictionary of words has ended for your description. I think the world is so small and we can meet again. I wish you and your family a safe journey and a happy life.
----
I am glad we have gone through the 2019 turtle season, enjoyed dancing at the Christmas charity gala you organised. This year, pool partying for the turtle group and going out to enjoy the sunset of LBV for the farewell before everything shuts down. And the slumber party you hosted! Thanks—As if we knew what’s coming. Thanks also for all the kindness and friendship from your daughters for mine. I appreciated your choice of words, your teaching me all these nuances of words where possible. We all just struggle to find or replace what’s lost due to COVID - 19 at this crazy time.
----
Vraiment nous avons été ravis de chanter avec vous nous vous souhaitons un bon retour chez vous.
----
Mimi, Just read your message you're leaving. Sorry I have not been able to say goodbye to you. I remember how we met the very first time, first day of school at Kiddy Planet. You made my start in LBV much easier and introduced me to many people. Thank you for your help, time, and support in the last few months. Have a safe flight back and a good start in Mexico. We will definitely miss you a lot.
----
Hi Mimi. Hope you and family are doing good and staying safe at home. My kids were so sad when they knew that your kids will go back to America for good. Thank you, Mimi, for everything. You taught my kids football, and your kids were good friends to mine. Keep in touch, yeah? One day you reach Kuala Lumpur just say hello us.
----
Hola Mimi! Te deseo de todo corazón que te vaya muy muy bien en la vida. Disfruta de tu familia, de tu marido, hijos y padres, es lo más importante. Todo esto pasará y Dios en su infinita bondad, nos ayudará a salir de esta. Vienen tiempos muy difíciles para todos, pero resistiremos. El mundo después de todo es pequeño, y quien sabe, a lo mejor algún día volveremos a vernos.y sino es lo mismo, porque nos hemos conocido. Gracias por abrirme tu casa, en esos espléndidos desayunos, y ser mi amiga, gracias por ser parte, en algún momento de mi vida. Eres una persona generosa y buena, te deseo lo mejor. Muchísimos besos y este es mi número de wuasap. Guardarlo, y de vez en cuando nos saludamos y así se mantienen vivas las amistades. Mucha suerte Mimi.
----
Dear Michelle, I don’t know how to express it but you and your family are going to be missed so much.
----
Mimi, I'm still trying to absorb the news that you are already leaving. (Although I am also leaving at the end of the school year.) You will be sorely missed. We learned to depend on you for everything. "Mimi had all the answers." Managing a group like ours certainly required a lot of tact and expertise. Some posts did require a lot of patience and calm before responding and you did it with poise and elegance. It will be very difficult to replace you in the group, but mostly as a friend. Although, we didn't interact very often, I've seen you in action. What I like about you is your openness to others, the way you embrace other cultures. It was amazing watching you in action. Mimi, I know how you were enthusiast about your next post, hope you'll be able to go and enjoy it. Personally, I think that life as we know it, will never be the same after Covid-19. I wish you the very best in the future, enjoying your family and friends, and leaving your positive marks in others' lives. Hope to stay in touch.
----
Hello, Mimi. It’s really sad to find out that you and your whole family is leaving. We will really miss you. You are a wonderful person with an amazing heart, and my daughter will miss yours a lot. We haven’t talked or met each other often, but you were very helpful and such an amazing person. We hope you all stay safe and have a safe journey. Stay safe.
----
J'ai pas bien vu ton message sur le groupe mais je viens te dire merci d'avoir fait parti de l'aventure MEKÔM et te rassurer que tu sera toujours la bienvenue parmi nous. *_Ce n'est qu'un au-revoir!_*
----
Thank you, Michelle. My English is still weak. But in french we say: " toi et ton mari vous êtes des personnes bien. Pour peu de temps que je vous ai rencontré vous m'avez enrichi! Vous allez beaucoup me manquer. Que le Seigneur Vous garde et vous protege.
----
Have a good life wherever you are.  May God bless your family abundantly. You are a hero in my eyes and will be an integral part of my memory about my Gabon days. Your blog about the farewell and your song was sooo touching. The world needs people like you. Live your life to the fullest and continue touching many peoples’ lives. Love you!
----
Mimi, only you could do a perfect virtual farewell like that, so beautiful. You will be missed. Have a safe journey home and send us pictures when you arrive. Big kisses to you and all the family.
----
You are the only person I have come across in my life so far whom everyone is going to miss. You are truly incredible Mimi. Words can only express so much.
----
Bonsoir ma sœur. J'ai appris que ta famille et toi voyagez demain. Je vous souhaite un excellent voyage et un bon retour dans votre pays. Que notre père céleste vous assiste, vous accompagne et vous protège.
----
C'est dommage on ne s'est pas vu mais vous restez dans nos cœurs et les réseaux sociaux nous permettront d'être en contact.
----
I will miss the frequent breakfasts in your home. You are the one who knows how to connect people with different cultures. You are truly missed by all.
----
Hey just to say goodnight and ‘courage’ for the morning. I know we’ll be in touch perhaps even more than during some of the crazy busy times here, and I’m serious about visiting you again some day. For now though, I will really miss you in Gabon. I’ll still remember when you drove me round the whole day long and it felt like you were the first person I’d really spoken to in weeks. You are part of Libreville for me in so many ways, and sadly we have all lost that freedom. Keep being you, look after your beautiful babas, and keep safe. Bon voyage.
----
Oh dear sweet little Mimi. I just read and watched your good bye and you got me! I love that you sang such a meaningful song that is as true as can be for you and your family. I love that you leave a big Mimi mark where ever you live! I can tell you loved the people there and they loved you back. Thanks for being the ambassador that you are by nature—loving everyone and loving their way of life, not trying to change them but help them and make a difference in their little corner of the world. So glad I have known you and I am better because of it! Love to you.
----
Hi Mimi! I hope you and the family are adjusting OK. I am so sorry you had to leave Gabon the way you did without the traditional rituals of saying farewell. I hope you can take pride in the tremendous contributions you made to both the embassy community and the wider international community as well as to the host country. You touched the lives of many people and institutions from schools and orphanages to individual Gabonese and expats. Your energy, curiosity, and willingness to so fully engage is a gift to any community you belong to. Your next post will be very fortunate to have you and I am sure Libreville was sad not to be able to say goodbye before you left.
----
De rien madame ce fût un honneur pour moi de l'avoir fait j'espère que nous nous  reverrons un jours merci pour tout vos bien fait a mon égard que Dieu puisses vous bénir pour cela fait un bon voyage.
----

Gabon, I will miss you. So, so much.

Comments