Mothers

American Mother's Day was on Sunday. This year it was May 10. It is always the second Sunday in May. May 9 is the anniversary of my mother's mother's death. Her death date always falls on or near Mother's Day. This was also the first Mother's Day since my father's mother's passing. She was no longer a phone call or plane ride away. Marcia and Verda are both far, far away. I enjoyed remembering them and the strong women and mothers they were. I am so grateful to them.

Jeff had flowers delivered on Saturday: one vase for me and one for my mother. (He also sent flowers and chocolates to his mother, and they enjoyed a video chat.) My children gifted me with artwork and words. My dad and Jeff spent the last week working in my mom's special room (sewing/crafting). They ripped up the carpet and laid new flooring. It looks really nice. My mom said she has wanted this for the past decade. I had a gift for her also, a wireless keyboard for her iPad.

I want to remember my children's messages even after cards are lost and papers disappear, so I'll share them here.

Gordon (with help from Jeff)
I love Mom and don't want her to die.
I like her. She makes me feel good and happy.
I like the new Spanish game she bought and when she lets me use her phone.
I like when she reads bedtime stories.
I love you, Mom.

Alice (completely without help)
Mom, you are as sweet as pie. I never want you to die. If you were gone, I would cry. You are the best mother a girl could have. You're the one who stops me crying when I need it the most. I never want you gone, because then I'm done. You're who keeps me on my path. You're the one that brings back the happy times but if you're gone I have to try to bring them back. Don't leave me. If you do I will be done so never leave me please. If you left who would help me, be there saying if you need help I will help you put you back together. I love you, Mom. Love Alice. Mimi, I love you.

Daniel (with some help)
Mom
Interesting
Cool
Happy
Excited
Lovable
Likable
Eager

Jill (without help)
Magical mom
Imaginative when writing
Calm
Happy and joyful
Elegant
Laughing always
Liked by everyone you meet
Eager to do good

It was interesting that on a day when I was thinking about my mom's mom and my dad's mom both being gone that two of my children wrote very clearly that they don't want me to die. I don't remember ever really thinking about my mom or dad dying when I was a kid. I do remember a time or two being scared about who we would live with if they both died. But it definitely wasn't something I thought about frequently or that I would have written in a mother's day card. Either my kids are just different than I was, or current events have them thinking about death.

Kids, I am doing my best to not die. I love being your mom so very, very much.




Comments