Pirates

Jeff and I were awoken this morning by our youngest at 4:30 in the morning. We settled him back down, and then Jeff checked his email. He saw an email with a subject line referring to the shipment of goods we have been awaiting eagerly. The shipment is a few weeks overdue, so he was excited thinking that our shipment had finally arrived. His excitement turned into confusion as he momentarily wondered if this was some sort of Halloween prank. He quickly discovered that it was not a joke, and we learned that the boat carrying over $4,000 of our belongings had been attacked by pirates in between Equatorial Guinea and Nigeria.

Then our mood sank lower as we read on that six of the crew members aboard the ship had been taken captive by the pirates. Apparently none of the cargo was touched. 

I had heard of Somali pirates, but I wasn't really aware that were Nigerian pirates. 

I was initially baffled as to why they would have not stolen our (in my opinion) very nice belongings. At least $2,500 worth of American food. Surely that would be appealing. 

As I've researched further it appears that the pirates attacked the ship with just a speed boat, so that makes sense why they weren't interested in huge crates. And it appears that Nigerian law currently prohibits sailors from carrying weapons, so pirates know there will be no one armed on board. I'm gathering that kidnapping people is more appealing than kidnapping random stuff, because then the pirates hold their hostages for ransom from the boat owners.

Reading that was an interesting feeling, because we're overseas with the United States government, and during our training we are told repeatedly that if we are kidnapped, ransom will not be paid. It was made very clear that our government's policy is that paying kidnappers only provides incentive for kidnappers to continue kidnapping, and that American diplomats are actually safer from kidnapping because the kidnappers know they will receive no ransom for us. We're less of a target because of it.

The twelve remaining crew members on board the ship (the Demeter) have been reported as being unharmed and as having safely made it to Monrovia, Liberia. I'm grateful that those twelve are okay.

An acquaintance in Monrovia can actually see the exact shipping vessel from his living room window.

I can't imagine how the other six, the captured six, must be feeling. 

And simultaneously, I'm kind of wishing that my stuff had arrived and wondering if it will be delayed in Monrovia, if it is going to be part of a crime inquiry, or what is going to happen. 

And then I feel guilty for thinking about my stuff when there are families whose brothers or fathers or sons have been kidnapped.


One hundred twenty-one. So many! That's twelve a month so far. That's a pretty high number. And I had no idea.

There's so much sad stuff going on all the time that I don't even know about. And the stuff that I do hear of makes my head want to explode from the pressure of contemplating that much pain and sorrow.

I wonder if there will be any way to follow this story and find out whether the six sailors are returned safely home. Or if I'm always going to wonder. I think if everyone ended up safe, this would turn into a kind of funny story—along the lines of "children, let grandma tell you the story of the time when pirates attacked the ship bringing all of her muffin and cornbread mixes from the US to Gabon. Yes, real pirates!"

But then I wonder if even then it could be funny, because there are reasons why these men chose to become pirates. Maybe their parents were pirates. Maybe they're greedy and have decided this is a great way to get rich quicker. Or maybe they're just desperate to feed their starving families and international fishing has ruined their livelihoods as local fishermen or poisoned waters have made farming impossible, and they've decided that any line of work—however unethical—is better than watching family suffer and die. I don't know what created the situation that led to them becoming pirates, but I can assume it wasn't terribly pleasant.

So here I sit running low on hair conditioner and feminine products and mosquito repellant wondering how soon my belongings will arrive and feeling guilty about bemoaning my "first world problems" when a few countries away there are kidnapped sailors.

But sometimes I feel like my heart can't possibly keep beating as I consider all of the horrific, tragic, hateful things that happen every day to so many people.

And I wish that all those people could be living in my world instead of theirs. In my world where children are loved and spouses are thoughtful and food is available. My world where the biggest personal concerns are how well the children are doing in school and what to make for dinner and will her cornbread mix ever show up in Gabon. Where my greatest pain is vicarious, imaginative pain.

Oh, how I wish.

I hope those sailors are okay. And I dream of a world where people willing to work could find honest work and didn't chose to be pirates. Because it turns out, they aren't as sexy as Hollywood makes them out to be.

Comments

  1. I will smile at the cute little pirates who will come to my door next week but I will also (like you so well expressed) have feelings of sadness for the real life problems in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see Captain Philips? (It was based on a book telling the story.) It was eye opening for me about these situations. Hopefully you get your stuff, and hopefully those sailors will get back to their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 12 per month.
    This was my favorite paragraph: “But sometimes I feel like my heart can't possibly keep beating as I consider all of the horrific, tragic, hateful things that happen every day to so many people.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I met a couple of these clowns down in the Delta. Interesting that the ship was going through those waters. The large container ships usually are far enough out to avoid major issues...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. You really can't make this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A poignant story about how conflicted we become living with privilege. One of my best friends just lost her entire home, and 30 years of FS memorabilia in the Santa Rosa fires. She too is conflicted between personal loss, and knowing that she was well-insured and others not. Thank you for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written, Mimi!
    T. Brown

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry your stuff is on a boat with a crew taken by pirates. That really sucks. Your post sums up how beautifully and painfully complicated life can be. —Alicia J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve learned to just comment here because I’m inept with commenting on your blog itself. Thank you for writing this, though you did make me cry yet again. You made me cry for the hostages, the pirates, and just because I miss you and your kind heart. —Kristin C.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So well expressed. I do hope all turns out well. —Jill F.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?