Yummy in my Tummy!

Jeff and I enjoyed a wonderful evening at the Alexanders' home with the Nays. Christine had whipped up a tasty dinner of Hawaiian haystacks, Chelsea brought a delicious fruit salad, and our measly contribution was the juice. Lame, I know, right?

So, have you ever had Hawaiian haystacks before? I had never even heard of them until I came to BYU, and since I came out here, I have had them at ward activities I believe three times. Jeff had never heard of them until he served his mission in California, and he had them at a member's home. So, are they a Mormon thing or a Western thing? Does anyone know? Or did Jeff and I just grow up in ignorance of this delightful dish?

Photograph stolen from a random person's blog.

The base is rice. Then you pour some yummy chicken gravy concoction over that. Then you add all your toppings. Christine had pineapple, green onions, green peppers, black olives tomatoes, cheese, and chow mein noodles. It's possible I'm forgetting something . . . And that's it. So good. :)

After dinner, we played some mad rounds of Uno Attack. The Nays had never played it before, and I wanted a game without too much strategy. By the end of the day, my brain (already not functioning at peak performance) is pretty much done.

Comments

  1. haha, I just made Hawaiian Haystacks on Monday for dinner! How random! I love the pictures at the bottom! What a good looking bunch of people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say for you and Christine is that smart minds think alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I was thinking about doing that for dinner tonight! But I changed my mind at the last minute for something quicker. Good thing too, you'd be sick of them after that. And I'm not sure if it's a Mormon or western thing. My mom used to make them all the time, we lived in Colorado. I didn't have them at any of our church functions til about 9th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have Hawaiian haystacks at girls' camp (in Massachusetts). It might be a West Coast thing, though, since most of the people in my ward/stake seemed to be transplants from the West. They're good, though, huh? I like how you can add your own ingredients, so I don't have as much to pick off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know where they are from but I remember having them as a little girl. They are tasty though! That picture makes me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Devin was all excited after you mentioned them on the phone to me the other day, so we'll probably be having them sometime soon and I'll get to see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?