Saturday, April 25, 2009

Well, well, well

So, after my day of thinking Jeff was silly for being so overprotective, it turns out he's a smart man. We had a nice evening. We went to the BYU Bookstore to enjoy the graduation sales, and then we went over to a friend's house to babysit their angel son. We walked to the park and had a blast. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing Jeff interact with children firsthand, let me tell you. :) He is amazing. Babies and children just love him. It's a gift.

Near the end of the babysitting, my feet were really swollen. Really, really swollen. I know that a lot of pregnant women swell, but it was abnormal. Jeffrey felt a prompting that we should go check my blood pressure. Thank goodness for my husband. We went to Rite Aid (thank goodness for 24-hour drug stores!), and it was not pretty. Healthy blood pressures are under 120. We did mine four times, and it was in the 150s to 170s each time. That's not good.

So, we went to the hospital last night. We were admitted around 10:30 pm. They ran a bunch of tests, and I do have preeclampsia. That's when the fun began. They moved me into this beautiful big room and hooked me up to a bunch of things. :) I have the two external monitors (for contractions and the baby's heartbeat), an IV with normal fluid and magnesium sulfate, a catheter to monitor my urine output, and Cervidil to try to get my cervix ready for labor and delivery.

In about an hour or an hour and a half, they'll check my cervix and start me on Pitocin. I have been having very steady contractions, so we are hopeful that Jill will come out vaginally. If she doesn't, then it would be a Cesarean. Due to the dangerous nature of preeclampsia, Jill has to come out today.

All things considered, I am feeling great. My only real complaint is the effects of the magnesium sulfate. It makes me feel very, very warm (but my temperature shows that I'm actually pretty cold), and it's giving me a headache. I put up with it for about 3 hours, but then I decided to take some Tylenol. My body didn't put up with the Tylenol very well. I threw up immediately. On the plus side though, I'm not nauseous at all. It was just the same old same old problem I've had my whole life: I'm not very good at swallowing pills. The sad part was that it took too long to get the throw-up bucket, so the first round of vomit was just all over my chest. Hehe. That was a thrill.

But seriously, they have me closely monitored, and I am doing great. Jill is doing very well, too. Her heartbeat has remained very strong and steady, and she's been moving regularly. So, Jeff and I feel very, very blessed (and a little bored and extremely excited!).

Pictures of my luxurious accommodations
I feel like I'm in a nice hotel, but when you open the drawers you find medical instruments instead of extra blankets. :)
Gotta let the fam know what's goin' on
Jeff and I (The wet wash cloth was my first attempt to soothe my headache. Sadly, in the violence of the vomit, the cloth was thrown off and landed in the barf bucket. Ew.) ;)


  1. Just read your blog and wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Good to hear you are doing ok but Ill be praying for you and Jill and Jeff!


  2. yay! hope your body keeps cooperating and you can have a smooth delivery. can't wait to meet your little one :o)

    p.s. which hospital are you at? I delivered at Timp and it looked just like that so now I'm curious.

  3. mimsy n jeff i am so excited for you both :) everything is going to go smootthly and safely and sweet baby jill will be here before you know it. i love you! xoxox

  4. Good luck with everything!! Hearing your story brought back so many memories of a few months ago . . . but I can't wait to see pictures of that sweet little girl who is on her way!

    -Alicia Johnson

  5. Mimi! I love you! I'm so proud of your for starting your family. You've done great so far. Hang in there - Jill's almost here!

  6. Yea! I am so excited for you guys! It really does bring back memories of when Ryan was born. I am so glad that Jill is doing well with a regular heartbeat and everything! I hope everything continues to go smoothly! You are such a trooper! Thank goodness you caught the preeclampsia early. Don't get too worried about a C-section. They really aren't as bad as people make them out to be.

    Yet another day I wish I still lived in Provo... :(

    I can't wait to see pictures! Good luck guys!

  7. Oh Mimi, I'm so sorry!!!! I wish you had told me, I would have told you to stay home and in bed. Or if you insisted on coming and least staying on my couch and not going to the park and not lifting a finger. I feel so bad. I really hope walking to the park isn't what made your BP go higher.

    I'm glad you went in though and she's doing well. Good luck on a smooth delivery and recovery.

    In other news, today Brenden goes, "Mommy, what's your favorite number?" "13" "What's daddy's favorite number?" "I don't know, he doesn't have one." "What's Jeffrey's favorite number?" "I don't know" "It's 9, 40, 6, 8". And then when he woke up, I asked what he did last night and he said, "We went to the park. The boy took me on the big slide."

  8. You are such a trooper!!!!!! Keep up the good work mama!

  9. Our thanks to you and Jeff for keeping us so informed through out the day; it really helped us to cope and stay calm. We fasted for both of you and we're so glad that so many things have been going so well and we're feeling a lot of gratitude for so many blessings.
    Love, Pappy

  10. You're my hero! What a beautiful room you got to be in! They do make you feel special, don't they? I wish I could be there to make you feel special.


What's on your mind?