Jesus Christ

This week, I finished The Kingdom and The Crown Trilogy by Gerald N. Lund. I really enjoyed them and appreciated all of the research Elder Lund had done. I thought that in writing the books he had found a beautiful way to share his insights with us and help readers like me gain a greater understanding of the people of around AD 30.

(If you don't know, these books follow the storyline of fictional characters who interact with Jesus and other real people written about in the Gospels.)


I finished the third book today (and what an uplifting ending it was to read descriptions of what it may have been like to be one of the people who were privileged to see the resurrected Jesus). I really recommend these books!


So, I've had Christ's life and ministry on my mind. Then I read my online scriptures, and my completed reading quote is this:

"So as I conceive it, we must stand adamant for the doctrine of the atonement of Jesus the Christ, for the divinity of his conception, for his sinless life, and for, shall I say, the divinity of his death, his voluntary surrender of life. He was not killed, he gave up his life. It is our mission, perhaps the most fundamental purpose of our work, to bear constant testimony of Jesus the Christ. We must never permit to enter into our thoughts and certainly not into our teachings, the idea that he was merely a great teacher, a great philosopher, the builder of a great system of ethics. It is our duty, day after day, year in and year out, always to declare that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ who brought redemption to the world and to all the inhabitants thereof."
—Clark, in Conference Report, Oct. 1955, 23

How incredibly applicable for what I am currently thinking about!

I know that Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God. He is our Messiah, Redeemer, Lord, and Creator. He lived on earth to show us the way, and He died that we might be forgiven of our sins and comforted in our sorrows. He was resurrected to overcome death that we might live again and return to our Heavenly Father's presence.

He loves me, and He loves you, and there is room in His gospel for all of God's children.

Comments

  1. I agree, I read those books over the summer (I had nothing else to do while I would nurse!) and I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cool quote from President Clark. I'm reading The Screwtape Letters right now and Screwtape (a devil) talks about getting people to believe in "historical Jesus" to take the focus off His real mission. I was just reading that last night and it goes perfectly with that quote--I love coincidences like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony! I just hope I didn't inspire you to write it because of my dream last night... just kidding.

    But seriously, I feel better now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?