Friday, January 23, 2009

Slight Resolution

So, after the failed call with the dermatologist, I called my OB/GYN and left a message on the nurse answering machine. About an hour and a half later, a nurse called me back and said that I should go to Labor and Delivery.

So, I called a friend or two and found one who could give me a ride (thank you so much, Candela!) and went over to the hospital in Orem. I was admitted to a room and got to lie on a comfortable bed.

Four and a half hours later, the baby's heart beat was normal, there had been no contractions, I had peed five times, I had gotten really hungry, my blood results were fine, and my doctor ruled out normal viral or pregnancy rashes. The only red flag they found is that there was protein in my urine. Apparently, protein should not be in my urine.

From what Jeff was reading on the internet last night, a kidney problem could explain a lot of the symptoms. The doctor had been worried about my kidneys at the beginning of my pregnancy, because of my kidney past, but the tests then showed normal functioning. So, they set an appointment for me to come back next week and see if there is still protein or if the protein was "transient." :) Hehe. It makes me think that there are proteins rooming my body like hobos or something.

One plus is that they decided not to give me an IV and just kept me longer drinking a lot of water and grape juice. I am very glad I did not have to have an IV.

Oh yes, the doctor ruled out the PUPPS (that may be written wrong) and chicken pox. It's not acting the way that would, and he is very convinced that it most likely is pityriosis rosea like I mentioned in a previous blog post. I told him about how the dermatologist couldn't see me until the end of February, and he said he would have his office call their office and see if they couldn't get me in within a week or two.

So basically, I still don't know anything, but I am feeling better. I think I probably was a bit dehydrated, and of course just resting does wonders. :)

Thank you, Candela, for waiting with me so long!


  1. I hope everything is okay with your kidneys! My sister had the same thing happen and it ended up being pre-eclampsia (which could be partly because we have a rare kidney disease but we don't know) anyway, I hope everything is okay and they figure it out soon.

  2. Oh no! What a day! 4 hours in the hospital... I hope everything is okay and you get this cleared up soon. It is so good that you have a sense of humor about it. Have they ruled out preeclampsia? That's the first thing that came to mind when I read about the protein. Good luck! Keep us updated! Miss you!

  3. Yeah, my doctor didn't mention preeclampsia, but Jeff's best friend who's in his fourth year of medical school mentioned it too, so Jeff and I looked it up on Wikipedia. I am not a perfect fit for it, because Wikipedia said it is accompanied by high blood pressure, which I don't have, but you don't always have all of the symptoms perfectly. I guess I'll find out more next week when they test my urine again for protein.

  4. I'm pretty sure at one of my checkups I had protein in my urine, and was totally freaked out by it, like what does that mean? But they never mentioned it again, so I'm still not sure what it means, and obviously in my case it meant pretty much nothing...

  5. Apparently the protein could mean that my kidneys are not doing what they should be doing. However, the doctor also said it could be "transient." So, if the next test comes up with no protein, then there is nothing to worry about. You must just have only had it show up once.


What's on your mind?