Your little girl

I’m sitting here
in Antioquía.

You’re way over there

in Michigan. 


I’m on a soccer trip,

because once upon a time

you signed me up,

you bought me cleats,

you drove me to practice,

you cheered at every game.


I’m drinking the most delicious coconut lemonade, 

because once upon a time

you encouraged me to try it again,

to eat it with chocolate, 

to trust it was more delicious than I realized.


I’m in a botanical garden,

because once upon a time

you showed me the difference 

between a fern and a philodendron,

you shared your love of flora,

you taught me how to tend to plants.


I hiked a mountain this morning, 

because once upon a time 

you took me trekking,

you demonstrated how to stretch and breathe deeply, 

and actually, not that long ago,

you gifted me the hiking shoes on my feet.


I sang on a park bench yesterday,

because once upon a time

you always listened to me sing,

you joined a choir with me,

you played the concertina in our home,

you encouraged me to learn to sight read.


I went to church on Sunday,

because once upon a time

you testified of where to find peace and comfort,

you prayed over my every care,

you expressed that no matter how far I wandered 

the House of the Lord would always feel like home.


So much of you

is in me

that I embody the cliche:

I’m never lonely

even when I’m alone.


I’m so happy to be me,

and for that,

I’m so happy that you are you.


Love always, 

Your little girl





Comments