Growth


 I am usually an open-book kind of person. I often joke that I am incapable of summary, and that no matter what I am asked I will find a way to give that person a long version of the answer. I am frequently found apologizing for rambling.

Today I was chatting with a new friend. I went to her house to check on her, to see how she was doing. During our conversation I alluded to certain sensitive topics in my own past, and she asked me what had happened.

She ended up “checking” on me.

And she listened so very well.

And so I spoke and spoke and expressed some more.

When I finished, I was surprised at how much time had past.

But when I realized I had told her all those private, personally difficult things, I traded surprise for awe.

Why amazement? It was old news to me. Same old story of my life and personal journey.

No, the amazing part is that I didn’t cry.

Today is literally the first time I have ever shared that many details about those circumstances without crying.

I am grateful that I noticed! It took me about an hour to recognize that I was talking about things that always guaranteed tears—but not today. I’m not going to make the claim that time can heal all wounds. Honestly, I lean more toward the idea that God can heal wounds if we are welcome to it. 

I am so grateful for being in the right place at the right time. It is yet one more lesson regarding the importance of each small choice that paves the way to your big decisions.

Thank you to friends who listen.

Thank you for pain that fades away, becoming a duller throb each year, no longer the sharp piercing stabs.



Comments

  1. Whoever that friend is, I love them so very very much for loving you and listening to you that day. Also, as grateful as I am also for the power of healing and growth, I also have to remind myself sometimes: it’s ok to cry. Crying is human and living. And I am so so happy to be human and living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful experience; thumbs up to wonderful new friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?