I saw you today

I had two appointments today in different parts of town, so I spent about two hours driving through Mexico City. 

A man helped me find a parking spot, and then when it was time to leave, I couldn’t find him. A car had parked behind me very closely, and I wasn’t actually sure I could get out. As I sat in my car wondering where the man was and whether I should just stay there until one of the cars left, a pedestrian started waving at me. She proceeded to guide me back and forth, telling me to stop before I hit either car, until I was finally free. I saw you. I'm grateful for you. And I was never able to give the man his tip for finding me a spot on the street. I'm sorry.

I saw you, too. By your clothes, I think you are a security guard. You were chatting on the phone on the side of the busy road. Someone must have said something funny, because you threw your head back and smiled with so much joy that it made me want to be your friend.

I know you saw me. You were standing on the side of the street with four kids, and you waved down the taxi in front of me. Your kids were climbing in first, taking a while, because they're kids, and there were four of them, when a car behind me honked. I'm a mother of four; I would never honk at you, but you looked at me. I swear it wasn't me! I'm sorry someone honked at you. You are allowed your time, too.

I saw you as well. I was there to pick up my sewing machine and my friend’s machine. I had other bags also, and you offered to carry the machines for me. I thought you just meant on the stairs, but then you carried them all the way to my car and then said goodbye. I appreciate your kindness.

You were there. You were in such a rush that you didn’t notice that your little sandy dog had his leg up, peeing, as you pulled him down the path.

I saw you and you and you. We waved and nodded and signaled as we navigated the careful dance that is driving in Mexico City. You let me go there, and I let you go there, and we all moved forward together, a little closer to our next destinations.

Oh, and I won’t forget you! I met you for the first time at breakfast today. We chatted and learned what we like to do and whether we have pets or kids (and me with both!). I’d love to chat with you again.



So many humans on the street for me to meet.

Brown and blue, many of each hue.

Black and green, all waiting to be seen.

Me and you: I can only meet a few.

Back home again—now with new friends.













Comments

  1. I LOVE THIS. You are so much poetry inside a person. I wish wish wish I could be dancing through Mexico City with you. Dreams inside a daydream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?