A Beautiful Future Ahead


I showered today; I hadn't showered since Monday. (It's Sunday.) I changed clothes today; I hadn't changed clothes since Wednesday. I had added new clothes, but I hadn't done much else. Part of it is that I was sad. Part of it is that I felt poorly. Part of it is that it is cold. It isn't Michigan winter cold, but it is spring, and in Michigan, winter likes to remind spring that it has visitation rights. It has snowed twice and hailed once since we've been here. I used to be hearty and used to weather like this. Apparently three years of life on the equator changed me, which was useful while I was there to handle the heat and humidity, but it is not helpful here. So I was cold, and I just kept adding layers, and it seemed lunacy to take a shower in weather this cold. 

It didn't help that I could see Michiganders walking down the street in short sleeve shirts. Don't they know it's cold? I haven't felt my toes in days.

There have been a lot of adjustments this week.

I started the week in my huge house. I'm ending it in half a house.

I started the week surrounded by my belongings: convenient, familiar items that make life easier. I'm ending it not knowing where anything is kept.

I started my week with a network of friends just a phone call away if I needed help with anything. I'm ending it not knowing anyone nearby.

But maybe it isn't all that cold. And maybe I don't have that much to complain about.

I started my week with my family. And I'm ending the week still with my family. And soon, in just over a week, I'll get to have my parents, too. 

And literally a woman just rode a horse down the street. 

That was unexpected. But cool.

There is actually a lot about life that is pretty cool right now.

I am grateful that when I left Gabon, I did so on an airplane full of very good friends.

I am grateful to the team at US Embassy Libreville who worked tirelessly to facilitate our safe departure: they got us a flight out of a closed airport, they arranged for us to be able to fly with our pets, they organized our luggage pickup and transportation, they coordinated with the airline at the airport, and they provided masks, gloves, and medical records. I didn't sleep much the days before our departure, but I have a feeling that they slept even less.

I am grateful that ASKY and Ethiopian allowed us to bring our cats with us on the flights. I'm grateful that a friend lent us her hard carrier for us to use for the second flight.

I am grateful to the staff from US Embassy Lomé who were waiting for us at the airport in Togo to ensure a smooth transition: having our boarding passes ready and standing by at the security line. They were a welcome sight during a strange time.

I am grateful that the planes were so empty that we were able to choose our own rows and just lie down and sleep.

I am grateful that Ethiopian had delicious vegetarian options for the in-flight meals.

I am grateful that Ethiopian had a large selection of Asian films to choose from. I got to watch one in Japanese, one in Mandarin, and one in Korean during the flight.

I am grateful that we had friends around helping us at the airport when we just didn't have enough arms to handle how much stuff we were trying to cart around. 

I am grateful that even though the rental agency with which we had a reservation was closed, there was a rental agency still open that had a Suburban available. 

I am grateful that all of our baggage, luggage, and family fit in the Suburban.

I am grateful that convenience stores were open in the middle of the night, so we could buy snacks.

I am grateful that McDonald's was open, so we could buy breakfast.

I am grateful that Jeff and I were rested enough to be able to take turns to drive the whole way straight from Newark to Detroit without stopping even after having spent a day already in transit.

I am grateful that my parents welcomed us into their home even though we might be unknowingly carrying a biological weapon inside of us.

I am grateful that throughout the years of home ownership, my parents have remodeled their home in such a way that it is basically two houses, enabling us to quarantine completely separate from them.

I am grateful that I can see my parents across the yard and hear their voices without using a phone. 

I am grateful that I am only a few hours' drive away from my husband's parents should any family emergency arise. 

I am grateful that my parents completely stocked the house for our arrival, so I can eat fresh fruits and vegetables and enjoy American foods that I haven't had in a while.

I am grateful for a home I cay stay in during this time when home is the safest place.

I am grateful that my children are happy.

I am grateful that we have more time with Jeff.

I am grateful that the cats have adjusted well and aren't acting out in unsavory ways.

I am grateful that spring is coming.

(The lady and her horse just trotted back down the street! I wonder where they live. That is a large animal for a neighborhood like this.)

I am grateful for my parents who prepared baskets and candy to hide them in the backyard for my children.

I am grateful for Easter. I am comforted by my belief that I will see Big Grandpa and Gigi again, both who I have missed so much since their deaths last year.

I am grateful for Jesus Christ's atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection. 

I am grateful for prayers and comfort.

I am grateful for getting to see spring. I haven't seen it in a while. The blessing of spring is available only to those who live in 4-season climates. It was a needed reminder that even when things look direcompletely dead and hopelessthere is still a beautiful future ahead.

Death isn't forever.

Covid-19 won't be forever.

Sadness during times of upheaval is not forever.

There are flowers ahead.



Comments

  1. Welcome to Michigan, we are in Canton, close but isolated as mandated. Regards and welcome and thank you for your beautiful message of gratitude

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?